Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Time flies when you're having fun

I know that I am super behind with the blog, as my sister and Melissa continuously remind me, so I am going to treat this as a catch up post.

Riley is now three months old and continues to let her personality shine. I will have to blog again today or tomorrow to talk about what she is getting into these days at three months and how Grant and I are doing, but this posting is meant to back up and mention details that I noticed about Riley while adoring her over the first few weeks that she was born and to catch you up on our travels over the last month.

I often ask my sister, Tiffany, "did Harding [her first born] do that as well?", "did Harding have that too?"... and she has said, "Chris, I just don't remember, I didn't write it all down like I have been doing with Shelby"... so bare with me as I don't want to loose these thoughts...
*Her tiny right earlobe has three small indentions in the shape of a pawprint that accentuate just how tiny and adorable those ears are...
*She has dark peach fuzz hair on her legs and lower back (definitely passed down from her Daddy)
*Riley's eyelashes doubled in length from the first to second week of being home
*The toe next to her big toe is just right under the size/length of the big toe, just the perfect size
*She pulls her lower lip into her upper lip as most newborns do... but started only pulling one side of her lower lip in. This has led to a little sideways smile that melts your heart.

Things I will miss about Riley Dearing that she is already starting to outgrow...
*Her squeaks and stretches when she wakes up
*The birthmark "strawberry" on the back of her head/upper neck is already starting to fade away

Even as Riley outgrows her infancy stage, I am loving the discovery stage, where every day her personality shows a bit more as she grows more in control developmentally. I attribute part of this to what I call the "break through month" - we have had a very busy last month, with two big trips, both including a beach, and lots and lots of family and friends!

For Memorial Day, when Riley was just 2 months and 1 week old, we took a trip up to Colonial Williamsburg, VA for one of my best friend's (JD) wedding. From there, we drove over to my Aunt Dearing's bay house in Gwynn's Island, Chesapeake Bay, VA. "Curious Riley" (as Aunt Dede dubbed her) was able to meet her Uncle Stephen and Aunt Cambridge for the first time, as well as Cousins Kate and Jake... and spent some great time with Aunt Dede + Bebe, Papa and Mommy at Aunt Dede's awesome bay house. We ended the week back in Asheville for cousin Shelby Frances' first birthday party - in the pool. Much fun was had by all and lots of time was spent in a bathing suit all week.

Riley with Uncle Stephen:


Riley with Aunt Dede:


Happy 1st Birthday Shelby Frances!



We then went to Foley Beach right at Riley's three month birthday for a "bachelorette week" for a good friend, Ashlee Proctor. Both trips were such break throughs for Riley, our girl is learning how to roll with the punches!

Babes and babies:


In the two weeks between Chesapeake Bay and Foley Beach, Riley really gained control of her head and decided that she would tolerate the Baby Bjorn and Moby Wrap, as long as she is facing OUTWARD so that she can check out the world.

Chris and Riley in the Baby Bjorn at Foley Beach:


And at the end of our month of trips, just a few days after her official three month birthday, Riley decides to roll over from her back to her tummy. And although she is not a huge fan of tummy time lasting more than five minutes or so, we suppose she just got bored with always hanging out on her back.




We are so fortunate that I have been able to stay home with Riley and see all of her milestones over the last three months. From her first smiles, to learning how to hold her links and toys, to rolling over - I would not trade the past 100 days for anything in the world.

1 comment:

  1. oh my heavens! I love, love the video! Especially at the end where she starts smiling and laughing! Precious! miss her so much!

    ReplyDelete